After the restoration of the independence of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Azerbaijani language became widely used in all spheres of public-political, socio-economic, scientific and cultural life of the society and created a ground for its smooth development as a state language. The Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan, developed under the leadership of national leader Heydar Aliyev and adopted in 1995 by the nation-wide referendum, Azerbaijan Republic President’s decrees, “On improving the functioning of the state language” dated June 18, 2001 and “Establishing the Day of the Azerbaijani Alphabet and Day of the Azerbaijani language” dated August 9, 2001, “On the State Language of the Republic of Azerbaijan” adopted in 2002, defines the legal status of our language, the measures necessary for its development, protection and development. President’s decrees, “State Program on the use of Azerbaijani language in the context of globalization in accordance with the requirements of the time and the linguistic development in the country “, dated May 23, 2012, “On Strengthening the Material-Technical Base of the Institute Linguistics named after Nasimi of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences” dated May 29, 2012, “Approval of the State Program on the use of Azerbaijani language in accordance with the requirements of time in the conditions of globalization and the development of linguistics in the country” dated April 9, 2013, “On a number of measures to ensure the broader use of Azerbaijani language in electronic media” dated July 17, 2018, Decision of the Cabinet of Ministers on “Regulation on the Terminology Commission under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan” dated November 26, 2012 made favorable conditions for improving the state care for mother tongue, improving the quality of fundamental and applied research in the field of linguistics.
Contemporary Azerbaijani language has a perfect grammatical structure, rich vocabulary and expression tools. At the same time, the cases of insufficient and inappropriate use of our language capabilities are still widespread. Gross violation of the rules of the language in television and radio channels, internet resources, publications and advertising media, non-observance of lexical and grammatical rules, use of household talk, misuse of foreign words and expressions have become commonplace. Absence of legal regulation and permanent control in this field does not allow effective measures to reduce or eliminate language violations.
In order to ensure the protection of the purity of the Azerbaijani language and the improvement of the use of the state language, Governed by item 32, article 109 of the Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan, I decree:
Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan:
1. Create a legal entity “Monitoring Center under the State Language Commission of the Republic of Azerbaijan” financed from the state budget, which ensures the protection of literary language norms in the media, control over the application of the state language of the Republic of Azerbaijan, in mass media, internet resources and advertisers;
2. “Monitoring Center under the State Language Commission of the Republic of Azerbaijan” (hereinafter referred to as the Monitoring Center) shall carry out the powers specified in Article 8.2 of the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan “On Legal Entities” of the founder of the legal entity;
3. Together with the National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan to develop and submit within in a month the “Action Plan for the Protection of the Purity of the Azerbaijani Language and the Improvement of the Use of the State Language”;
4. Approve the Monitoring Center’s charter in agreeing with the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan within two months;
5. to approve the structure of the Monitoring Center, the number of employees and the salary fund within two months, in agreeing with the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
6. Settle the appropriate allocation of space and the necessary logistical support for the organization of the Monitoring Center;
7. prepare proposals on changes in legislative acts within three months to prevent violations of the literary language in mass media, internet resources and advertisers and to introduce to the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
8. resolve other issues arising from this Decree.
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan
Baku city, November 1, 2018.